Tax FormsFillable tax forms simplify and speed up your tax filing process and aid with recordkeeping.Explore all templatesReal EstateReal estate templates for all cases, from sale to rentals, save you a lot of time and effort.Explore all templatesInsuranceInsurance templates make it easier for agents to manage policies and claims.Explore all templatesLegalLegal templates provide a structured foundation for creating legally binding documents.Explore all templatesMedicalMedical forms help you keep patient documentation organized and secure.Explore all templatesBill of SaleBill of Sale templates streamline the transfer of ownership with clarity and protection.Explore all templatesContractsVarious contract templates ensure efficient and clear legal transactions.Explore all templatesEducationEducational forms and templates enhance the learning experience and student management.Explore all templates
FeaturesThe all-in-one document management system has all the features you need to safely and efficiently handle your PDFs. Dive in, learn how to use all the tools, and become a PDF pro.Explore all featuresShare PDFWith the help of PDFliner you can share your PDF files by email or via the link as soon as you have edited, filled, or signed them online.Sign PDFPDFLiner gives the opportunity to sign documents online, save them, send at once by email or print. Register now, upload your document and e-sign it onlineFill Out PDFPDFLiner provides different tools for filling in PDF forms. All you need is to register, upload the necessary document and start filling it out.Draw on a PDFDraw lines, circles, and other drawings on PDF using tools of PDFLiner online. Streamline your document editing process, speeding up your productivity
- Log in
- Sign Up
Fill this form
Get your Form 5495 in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What Is Form 5495
Form 5495 is an official document issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) primarily used for requesting a discharge of the estate tax lien. When an estate comprises a decedent's property, the IRS may place a tax lien to secure the estate's tax obligations. This form is crucial for executors or administrators who must clear the property title before distribution to heirs or sale.
When to Use IRS Form 5495
The situations that necessitate the utilization of IRS form 5495 are quite specific:
- When an estate has met its tax obligations and seeks to release a federal tax lien, the executor will find this form applicable.
- If the estate includes real estate that needs to be sold, using this form to remove the tax lien is a prerequisite for a clear title.
- Before property distribution to beneficiaries, it's essential to ensure no encumbrances like tax liens are present.
- When the deceased's property is being refinanced, a discharge of the lien is required.
How To Fill Out IRS Form 5495 Instruction
Step 1: Gather Required Information Before you begin filling out Form 5495, make sure you have the following information handy:
- The decedent's name and Social Security number.
- Date of death.
- Your name and title (requester).
- Your address, including the number, street, room or suite number, city, town or post office, state, and ZIP code.
- Daytime phone number.
- What is the kind of tax (income, gift, estate)
- The tax form numbers, tax periods ended, SSN/EIN on returns, names and addresses shown on returns, and where and when these returns were filed.
- If applicable, the decedent's spouse's name and Social Security number.
- Copies of the tax returns, copies of letters of administration or letters of testamentary, and any other pertinent information described in the 'Other' section.
Step 2: Complete the Form Once you have gathered all the required information, you can start filling out the form:
- Enter the decedent’s name, Social Security number, and date of death at the top of the form.
- Next, provide your name and title as the requester, contact information, and daytime phone number.
- Indicate the kind of tax for which you request a discharge by checking the appropriate box: 'Income', 'Gift', or 'Estate'.
- In the section labeled 'Tax Returns for Which Discharge From Personal Liability is Requested,' fill in the details for each relevant tax period.
- Include their information in the provided section if there is an applicable spouse.
- In the checkbox section, indicate which documents you have attached to the form to support your request.
Step 3: Sign the Form After filling out all necessary sections of Form 5495:
- Carefully read the perjury statement at the bottom of the form.
- Sign and date the form in the 'Sign Here' section, ensuring you understand the perjury penalties. If you cannot certify the statement about penalties for civil fraud, attach a detailed statement explaining the circumstances.
Fillable online Form 5495
- Fill this form