Form 1099-MISC (2023)
Get your Form 1099-MISC (2022 - 2023) in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What is the 1099-MISC Form 2023?
All 1099 form series provide the IRS all the necessary information about the taxpayer. Specifically, the 1099-MISC form is about earning details of all the funds you pay for work in the United States.
1099-MISC is used to provide information about miscellaneous income. Before 2020 the document was used by businesses to report nonemployee compensation for U.S. residents, but after the tax year 2020 such payments should be reported with another 1099 IRS form - 1099-NEC. 1099-MISC should be used only for miscellaneous compensations like medical and healthcare payments, rents awards, prizes, attorney payments, etc.
What I need Printable 1099 MISC 2023 Form for?
You need to fill out the 1099 MISC Form in the following cases:
- To report IRS about payments in the course of your business that exceed $600;
- Amend incorrect information from the previously filed form.
Moreover, the file is often considered as the supporting document for tax returns.
Filling out 1099-MISC Form in 2023
You can file 1099 tax form electronically. Before you send it to the IRS and payees, check whether you’ve completed everything. The document has 5 copies:
- Copy A: appears in red and is provided for informational purposes only to get a copy A that can be filed with the IRS, you would need to order a scannable version;
- Copy 1: is in black and can be filled out and printed, because you don't need to file it with the IRS. You should keep it in case your State Tax Department requests it.
- Copy B: send it to a recipient of the payment, so they can keep it as a record;
- Copy 2: also send it to a recipient, so they can use it for their tax return.
- Copy C: you should keep this copy for a record. IRS requires you to keep copies of 1099s for 4 years from your tax return due date.
Organizations that work with 1099-MISC Form
- State Tax Department.
Related IRS Form 1099 MISC Tax Documents
IRS Form 1099-MISC Resources
- Download 1099 form blank
- Instructions for Requester of Form 1099-misc
- How to fill out 1099 misc
- How to calculate taxes
How to Fill Out a 1099 MISC?
Step 1: Click the blue button to start filling out the form.
Step 2: Provide your information as payer: name, address, telephone number, and TIN.
Step 3: Specify the recipient’s TIN, name, and address.
Step 4: Show an account number you assigned to the recipient.
Step 5: Report the payment and taxes in boxes 1-18:
- Rents income from real estate if it's $600 or more.
- Royalties from copyrights, patents as well as from oil, gas and mineral properties if it's at least $10.
- Amount shown as “Other income” may be payments received as prizes, awards, beneficiary of a deceased employee, taxable damages, etc.
- Show backup withholding or withholding for Indian gambit profits.
- For fishing boat crew members. This is the amount paid by an operator who considers them to be self-employed.
- Medical and healthcare expenses for individuals.
- Check if you made a sale to a recipient for $5000 or more for resale.
- Substitute payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest received by broker.
- Report corp insurance proceeds.
- Taxable gross proceeds paid to an attorney in connection to a legal services.
- Amount paid for a sale of fish for resale.
- Current year deferrals to a nonemployee for under a nonqualified deferred compensation plan.
- Check if the FATCA filing requirement apply.
- Total compensation of excess golden parachute payment.
- Payment to a nonemployee under a nonqualified deferred compensation plan that doesn’t meet requirements of section 409A. Any amount shown in box 12 should be also shown in this box.
- Report a state tax that was withheld from payments.
- Your state number.
- State income.
Step 6: Check twice the information in every box, as it will be used to check taxes by the IRS.
Step 7: Click the Done button to save, print or share the document.
2017 Fillable Form 1099-MISC (2017) Fill Out Form
2020 Fillable Form 1099-MISC (2020) Fill Out Form
2021 Printable Form 1099-MISC (2021) Fill Out Form
FAQ: Let’s Go Through Form 1099-MISC Popular Questions
Who gets a 1099 MISC?
A payer files this document and sends it to the recipient. The form is widely used among traders and businessmen who have to show the amount of money they paid during the entire year to others. It does not include payments for non-employees. If you want to report the payments for non-employees in 2023 tax year, you have to file a 1099-NEC form.
How to file MISC Form 1099?
The only way of e-filing 1099s accepted by the IRS is through the FIRE System. For more information see Publication 1220.
If you'd like to file the information returns by mail, you should fill out Form 1096 and mail the form and all copies A of 1099 to the address shown on 1096.
What happens if I don’t file my 1099 MISC?
If a payer didn't issue a 1099 the penalty would be $250 per each one. If a payer misses the deadline the penalty is about $100 per form and depends on how late they are filed.
If a receiver doesn't report all the income from forms 1099 on the tax return, IRS will figure it out, because the payer reports about each payment. If you notice the mistake before IRS you should send them form 1040-X to amend your tax return. If they will find out first they might send you a notification and apply penalties. You also might get an audit.
When is Form 1099-MISC deadline?
All businesses must send Form 1099-MISC to receivers until January 31 and to the IRS until February 28 or March 31 if you send the file electronically. We have IRS Calendar 2023 available on our website where you can find all details.
When does 1099-MISC have to be mailed?
You have to mail several copies of this document due to different deadlines. Copy B must be filed to recipients by January 31, 2023. It may be extended if you ask the IRS for this until February 15, 2023.
Copy A must be filed to the IRS until February 28, 2023.
Are there any exceptions in the 1099-MISC report?
There might be several exceptions when the $600 annual minimum does not have to be applied. You need to report the money paid in the next cases, no matter the amount:
- Royalties in box 2, even if you paid less than $10 per year;
- Backup withholding, even if the sum is less than $600.
How many copies of Form 1099-MISC should I complete?
You have to complete only one copy of the form because in PDFLiner the all information entered in the first page is automatically copied to the rest of the form.
When to use form 1099 NEC vs 1099 MISC?
1099 forms are look pretty similar, however there is a major difference between them. The 1099 NEC is used to report nonemployee compensation, while the 1099 MISC is used to report miscellaneous income.
So use 1099-NEC when you need to report salary or compensation of an individual contractor, for example. And Form 1099-MISC for all other bussinss payments.
Hear What PDFLiner Users Have to Say & Join Them Today
I’ve been using PDFLiner to fill out the 1099 MISC form, as well as send it to the independent contractors our company partners with. The form is easy to fill out, especially considering that you can instantly correct any misprint and sign the PDF blank digitally. Thanks for this great software. It saves me and my colleagues loads of time.
I sort out all of my tax forms without professional assistance, and a digital fillable 1099 form template is something I often need. Luckily, there’s PDFLiner, for I can always find any tax form I need in its huge catalog, fill it out online, e-sign it, download it for printing, or just submit it without leaving the comfort of my office. I love that you can fill out just one page of the form, and the rest will automatically follow.
Managing my clients’ tax files no longer requires tons of paper. Thanks to PDFLiner, I can find, complete, and store a perfectly printable 1099 form, as well as all the needed templates in one secure place. I like their possibility of joint file editing. Their digital signatures tool is state of the art, as well. Now that I’ve been using the service for long enough, I seriously think that it’s the best app out there.
Fillable online Form 1099-MISC (2022 - 2023)