Edit a PDF file For Free
1Upload your document PDF converter
2Type anywhere or sign your form
3Print, email, fax or export
4Try it right now! Add text to PDF
How to Edit a PDF: A Step-by-Step Guide
Online PDF editor is a versatile instrument for quick work with PDF documents online. From now on, you don’t need a printer, a scanner, or a black fountain pen to make urgent changes to your files. Simply choose a PDF for editing and use this program. To make your experience with PDFLiner more productive we created the full step-by-step guide on how to edit a PDF file online.
Step 1: Upload Your Document
The first thing you need to do to work with a PDF editor is to upload the document of your choice. There are three ways for doing it.
1. Click on the “Upload Document” tab on our main page and click on the upload button. Then choose the file from your computer.
2. To paste the link to the file you’d like to edit, choose the tab “Type Document URL,” insert the link, and click on the “Fill Now!” button.
3. Choose one of the files in our database. Choose the “Search for Document” tab, enter the document name in our search bar and click on the “Search” button.
After the upload, you will be immediately redirected to the editor with various tools that you can use to modify your PDF. Let us guide you through them.
Step 2: Add Text To A PDF
Text is the most basic instrument, so let’s start with it. To add text to your PDF document:
1. Click on the button in the upper left with the letter ‘T’ on it. Then move the cursor to a place in the document where you want to type in additional text. If you change your mind about the placing of the text, you can always drag the textbox where needed.
2. PDF editor also gives you the ability to change the font, size, and color of your text, as well as to make it bold, italic, or highlighted.
Step 3: Insert Marks And Draw On PDF
Sometimes, when filling out a PDF, it is necessary to underline or mark a specific place in the document. We have a couple of instruments that will help you to do this in no time. To insert mark to a PDF:
1. Click on the “Insert” icon.
2. Сhoose a mark that you need for your pdf.
3. Place the mark where you want it to be on the document and click. After that, the mark will be inserted to your form, but if you wish to delete it, just click on the trash bin icon.
4. If you need to add a line or an arrow, the process will be similar, except you can control their length and direction by clicking and moving the red circles.
5. To draw on PDF, click on the “Insert” icon.
6. Сhoose the “Draw” tool.
7. After that, you can start drawing whatever you like on your pdf document. You can control the width and color of your line up in the toolbar.
Step 4: Add Image To A PDF
To make your document even more concise, you can use such instruments as image adding. To add an image to your document:
1. Click on an “Insert” icon on your toolbar and choose “Add Image.”
2. Then, you’ll be given a choice of our database images, but you will also be able to upload one of your images or even make a quick capture right here right now.
3. Insert a picture where you want it to be, change the image size if needed, and click ok.
Step 5: Highlight, Blackout, or Whiteout in Your PDF
Highlight, blackout, and whiteout instruments are the key to changing how your document looks.
If you need to get rid of some information in the document or change its outlook, use the ‘Whiteout’ and ‘Blackout’ instruments. The former leaves the white field instead of the text, while the latter changes the color into black, making the text underneath unreadable.
1. Click on the “Whiteout” or “Blackout” button. Your choice depends on the color of the field you need.
2. Stretch the field in place of the text you want to hide.
There’s also a “Highlight” instrument that acts a lot like a marker pen and lets you underline the most crucial parts of the document.
- Click on the “Highlight” button.
- Stretch the yellow field on the text you want to highlight.
Step 6: Add Date To Your Document
Another great finding of this PDF client is the “Date” instrument: with it. There are two ways of entering the date.
1. If there is a “Date” field in the document, simply click on it and choose the date you need.
2. If there is no “Date” field, just click on the “Date” button on your toolbar and place the cursor in the spot where the date is needed. The instrument is automatically set to today’s date, so you may change it to any date you need.
Step 7: Sign Your Document
Signing is another highly important instrument this editor offers. With it, you can sign any document without wasting paper and ink.
1. There’s an ‘Add Sign’ icon among the instruments in the upper left. Click on it!
2. Now click “Add New Signature.”
3. Choose the way of adding the signature.
4. Decide on a place where you need to sign your file and add the signature.
5. If you already have a “Sign Field” on your document, the procedure will be the same just click on the “Sign Field’ instead of clicking on the “Add Sign” instrument.
Step 8: Rearrange, Add or Delete Pages on Your PDF
There’s a “Pages” box where you can quickly switch between the document pages by clicking on the one you need. In this box, you can alternate the order of the pages in the document and add the extra ones.
1. Click on the “Rearrange Pages” tool.
2. Rearrange, add, duplicate or delete pages as you need using the control buttons.
3. When you are done, click the “Apply” button.
Step 9: Add Fillable Fields To A PDF
The add fields function is super useful when you work with standard PDF forms like the ones we offer on our website.
1. Click on the “Edit Form” button on the toolbar.
2. Now you’ve opened its own toolbar where you can choose to create a text, date, signature, and other types of fields that can be included in the document. You can read the complete guide on how to add fillable fields.
When Your File Is Ready
Sure there’s nothing else to do to improve your PDF document? Then click on the ‘Done’ button and choose a saving option to keep the changes. This way, the edited document will be saved to your profile and ready for further action.
Hope this guide answered the question of how can you edit a PDF. Maybe you want to learn other ways of how to redact a PDF? Browse through our guides to find them all!
The Benefits of PDF Editor
PDF Editor is a free simple service, the basics of which you can get with our simple instruction. Apart from editing the PDFs, you can make quick edits in the documents, create new documents on the basis of the old and outdated ones, add your signature, date, or even an image to the file. All of this can be made in just a couple of clicks and won’t take more than a few minutes. And don’t forget about our database of PDF forms that you can change in a way that is most convenient for you.
Redact Your PDFs Easily with Online PDF Editor
Annotate DocumentsChoose the form in the catalog or download your document and add text to PDF format with the easy-to-use editor.
Highlight Key PointsHighlight PDF lines or paragraphs to make your template more structured or remember where you have finished the work.
Add ImagesIf the form requires some diagrams, schedules, or other photos, you can add an image to the PDF in the editor.
Hide Confidential InformationUse two instruments (Whiteout and Blackout) to hide your personal information, and cancel these features at any time you need.
Make PDF FillableCreate the Fillable Fields to improve the existing document or make a new template and send the ready forms to your clients.
E-Sign DocumentsThere is no need to print every form you fill out with PDFLiner thanks to the option to electronically sign PDF.
Hear What PDFLiner Users Have to Say & Join Them Today
Now that I’ve switched from Word to PDFLiner, I save lots of time processing and digitally distributing tons of billing forms, work orders, forecast reports, and invoices. In addition to this, thanks to PDFLiner, we’ve significantly minimized our paper consumption. Excellent tool that helps me cope with my business workflow faster and easier.
PDFLiner allows me to streamline the processes of generating and managing legal documents, as well as collecting electronic signatures for all my contracts and agreements. I like that I can customize forms on the go and access PDFLiner from all my gadgets. No more printing or scanning! That’s just brilliant!
When you’re a student, you deal with PDFs a lot… Newsletters, various worksheets, official forms you need to fill in and sign, etc… To me, filling out a PDF form used to be among the trickiest and most time-consuming things ever. But then a friend of mine introduced me to PDFLiner, and oh my God, my life has changed since then. It’s easy to use and has so many great features. Just awesome, I love it!