Get your IRS Form W-8BEN in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What Is an IRS Form W-8BEN?
An W-8BEN Form is a document foreign individuals or entities use to certify their status as non-US taxpayers. A w 8ben form purpose is quite simple, and it is required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ensure that individuals or entities outside of the United States comply with U.S. tax laws. By completing and submitting the form w-8ben, foreign taxpayers can claim a reduced rate of tax withholding on income received from sources in the US, such as royalties, dividends, or interest payments.
How To Fill Out an IRS W-8BEN Form Online
Filling out an IRS form w-8ben pdf online is a straightforward process. Here are the main instructions for form w 8ben to follow:
- Get a copy of the form: You can find and fill out this form for free on the PDFliner website.
- Enter your information: Enter your personal information, including your name, country of citizenship, and mailing address. Also, provide your taxpayer identification number, if applicable.
- Provide your foreign tax identification number: If you have a foreign tax identification number, enter it in the appropriate field.
- Claim treaty benefits: If you are eligible for treaty benefits, provide the appropriate details on the form. You will need to reference the specific tax treaty between the US and your country of residence to determine the applicable withholding rate.
- Sign and date the form: Once you have completed tax form w 8ben, sign and date it electronically.
- Submit the form: After signing the form, submit it electronically to the appropriate withholding agent, such as your bank or employer.
What Should Form W-8BEN Include
An IRS W 8BEN Form should include the following information:
- Personal information: Provide your full name, address, and country of citizenship.
- Taxpayer identification number: If you have a US taxpayer identification number, provide it on the form. If you do not have a US taxpayer identification number, you can provide your foreign tax identification number.
- Claim for treaty benefits: If you are eligible for treaty benefits, provide the applicable details on the form. This includes the specific tax treaty between the US and your country of residence and the applicable withholding rate.
- Certification of foreign status: Certify your status as a foreign individual or entity by completing the appropriate section of the form.
- Signature and date: Sign and date the form to certify that the information provided is accurate.
Who Needs to Fill Out W 8BEN Tax Form
The following individuals or entities need to fill out IRS Form W-8BEN:
- Non-US individuals who receive income from US sources, such as dividends, royalties, or interest payments
- Non-US entities, including corporations, partnerships, and trusts, that receive income from US sources
- Non-US intermediaries, such as foreign banks or foreign brokers, hold the income on behalf of non-US individuals or entities
- Foreign students who receive scholarship payments from a US source
- Non-US residents who sell US property and are subject to US tax on the gain from the sale
What people say
Now that I’ve switched from Word to PDFLiner, I save lots of time processing and digitally distributing tons of billing forms, work orders, forecast reports, and invoices. In addition to this, thanks to PDFLiner, we’ve significantly minimized our paper consumption. Excellent tool that helps me cope with my business workflow faster and easier.
PDFLiner allows me to streamline the processes of generating and managing legal documents, as well as collecting electronic signatures for all my contracts and agreements. I like that I can customize forms on the go and access PDFLiner from all my gadgets. No more printing or scanning! That’s just brilliant!
When you’re a student, you deal with PDFs a lot… Newsletters, various worksheets, official forms you need to fill in and sign, etc… To me, filling out a PDF form used to be among the trickiest and most time-consuming things ever. But then a friend of mine introduced me to PDFLiner, and oh my God, my life has changed since then. It’s easy to use and has so many great features. Just awesome, I love it!
Fillable online IRS Form W-8BEN