Get your Contractor and Subcontractor Agreement in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What is a Contractor and Subcontractor Agreement?
Hiring subcontractors is a standard work procedure in some areas and businesses. Like any process, it should have supporting documents, in particular, an agreement between the contractor and subcontractor sample. It is an official, legally binding paper that regulates the relationship between the parties, distributes areas of responsibility, and establishes guidelines and rules. On this basis, any other documents that might be needed in the work process are generated. In case of misunderstandings or disagreements between the parties, experts first turn to the contract agreement between contractor and subcontractor.
Contractor and Subcontractor Agreement Requirements
An agreement between the parties is a mandatory foundation, without which working interaction and risk management are impossible. The services of a subcontractor may be needed for large-scale work, for example, construction. To do it, the subcontractor does not have to enter into an agreement with the property owner; the contractor should have the authority to do so instead. Since the contractor has a great responsibility, drafting an agreement between the contractor and subcontractor should be approached with the utmost care.
The text should necessarily indicate the purpose of hiring a subcontractor, the scope of work, terms, payment, liability insurance, losses, guarantees, emergencies, and so on. Including all the necessary details in the document ensures overall security and guarantees that a large-scale project is completed on time and according to the agreements.
How to fill out the Contractor and Subcontractor Agreement?
While the standard short form agreement between contractor and subcontractor already contains all the necessary conditions, you should still check it first to make sure it suits your particular case. A quality template should have the following items:
- names and contact details of the contractor and subcontractor;
- tasks, the scope of work, milestones, and deadlines;
- the amount of payment, methods, regularity of payments, and so on;
- terms of compensation for damage;
- insured events and coverage;
- guarantees and protection against fraud;
- observed safety standards;
- cancellation policy;
- signatures of the parties.
Most of the standard form of agreement between contractor and subcontractor PDF is the readymade text. Attach an appendix to the main document if you need to adjust some details or add conditions that are convenient for all parties but are not spelled out in the contract. The content and format of such an application can be anything.
How to write a Contractor and Subcontractor Agreement?
A little preparation will help you quickly and easily draw up a subcontractor and contractor agreement. Here are some professional tips:
- Decide on the scope of work and tasks. The contract should clearly state the services that the subcontractor undertakes to provide, their duration and scope, as well as the timing and deadlines for the main stages of work.
- Write down the terms of payment. They depend on the specifics of each project, so you need to include the rate for the hour, day, or week of work of the hired specialist and the payment procedure.
- Protect copyrights and intellectual property. The subcontractor and contractor agreement is a universal contract that can be used in any area. If you hire a person for a creative position, make sure your rights to the created content and your privacy are protected.
- Specify the termination policy. The text should contain a clause on the conditions for terminating the agreement and the consequences for both parties.
- The contract should be concluded in writing. Any oral agreement can be challenged. To prevent it from happening, each party should receive its own copy of the final agreement in writing.
Who should sign the Contractor and Subcontractor Agreement?
Make sure that each participant in the process has read the text of the contract and agrees with each provision described. At the end of the document, as well as on each appendix that may be attached to it, there must be the signatures of the contractor and subcontractor. Otherwise, this document cannot be considered valid. Please note that the main employer's signature is not required. For example, in the construction business, the property owner's signature is not needed; the signature of the contractor they have hired is enough. Send copies of the final agreement to all participants and keep them for the project duration.
What is the difference between a subcontractor and a contractor?
The difference between these positions is who hires whom. A home/territory/business owner may hire contractors (companies or individuals) to carry out a large-scale project. As a rule, they perform a management role, monitor contracts, and generally keep track of the entire project's progress from beginning to end. They also have the right to hire subcontractors to perform more narrow-profile work. After completing the task assigned to them, subcontractors leave without waiting for the project's end. Depending on the project's complexity, there can be many such subcontractors. Since the latter is responsible for the entire project's success, they should sign the described agreement with each employee.
What people say
Now that I’ve switched from Word to PDFLiner, I save lots of time processing and digitally distributing tons of billing forms, work orders, forecast reports, and invoices. In addition to this, thanks to PDFLiner, we’ve significantly minimized our paper consumption. Excellent tool that helps me cope with my business workflow faster and easier.
PDFLiner allows me to streamline the processes of generating and managing legal documents, as well as collecting electronic signatures for all my contracts and agreements. I like that I can customize forms on the go and access PDFLiner from all my gadgets. No more printing or scanning! That’s just brilliant!
When you’re a student, you deal with PDFs a lot… Newsletters, various worksheets, official forms you need to fill in and sign, etc… To me, filling out a PDF form used to be among the trickiest and most time-consuming things ever. But then a friend of mine introduced me to PDFLiner, and oh my God, my life has changed since then. It’s easy to use and has so many great features. Just awesome, I love it!
Fillable online Contractor and Subcontractor Agreement