Tax FormsFillable tax forms simplify and speed up your tax filing process and aid with recordkeeping.Explore all templatesReal EstateReal estate templates for all cases, from sale to rentals, save you a lot of time and effort.Explore all templatesInsuranceInsurance templates make it easier for agents to manage policies and claims.Explore all templatesLegalLegal templates provide a structured foundation for creating legally binding documents.Explore all templatesMedicalMedical forms help you keep patient documentation organized and secure.Explore all templatesBill of SaleBill of Sale templates streamline the transfer of ownership with clarity and protection.Explore all templatesContractsVarious contract templates ensure efficient and clear legal transactions.Explore all templatesEducationEducational forms and templates enhance the learning experience and student management.Explore all templates
FeaturesThe all-in-one document management system has all the features you need to safely and efficiently handle your PDFs. Dive in, learn how to use all the tools, and become a PDF pro.Explore all featuresShare PDFWith the help of PDFliner you can share your PDF files by email or via the link as soon as you have edited, filled, or signed them online.Sign PDFPDFLiner gives the opportunity to sign documents online, save them, send at once by email or print. Register now, upload your document and e-sign it onlineFill Out PDFPDFLiner provides different tools for filling in PDF forms. All you need is to register, upload the necessary document and start filling it out.Draw on a PDFDraw lines, circles, and other drawings on PDF using tools of PDFLiner online. Streamline your document editing process, speeding up your productivity
- Log in
- Sign Up
Get your Form 8910 in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
Understanding IRS Form 8910
IRS Form 8910 is designed for individuals who own alternative fuel vehicles and wish to claim the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit. This credit encourages the adoption of energy-efficient vehicles, thereby contributing to a cleaner environment. Form 8910 calculates the amount of credit a taxpayer can claim based on the vehicle's specific characteristics.
What Qualifies for the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit?
The Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit is available for four types of vehicles:
- Qualified Hybrid Vehicles: These vehicles combine an internal combustion engine with an electric motor, resulting in increased fuel efficiency and reduced emissions. To qualify, a hybrid vehicle must have been purchased new and meet specific criteria outlined by the IRS.
- Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles: These vehicles derive their propulsion solely from an electric motor and can be recharged from an external source of electricity. They include all-electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs).
- Qualified Fuel Cell Vehicles: Fuel cell vehicles run on hydrogen and produce zero harmful emissions. To qualify, the vehicle must meet specific requirements set forth by the IRS.
- Qualified Alternative Fuel Motor Vehicles: These vehicles operate on fuel sources other than traditional gasoline or diesel. Examples include natural gas vehicles, propane vehicles, and vehicles fueled by hydrogen obtained by electrolysis.
Completing IRS Form 8910
To claim the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit, taxpayers need to complete Form 8910 accurately. Here are the key sections of the form:
- Identification: Provide your name, Social Security number (or taxpayer identification number), and the year for which you are filing the form.
- Vehicle Information: Include details about the vehicle for which you are claiming the credit, such as the make, model, year, and vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Qualified Vehicle Acquisition: Indicate the date on which you purchased or leased the vehicle and whether it was new or used.
- Vehicle Description: Provide additional details about the vehicle, including the fuel type and whether it is a hybrid, plug-in electric drive motor vehicle, fuel cell vehicle, or alternative fuel motor vehicle.
- Credit Calculation: Calculate the appropriate credit based on the vehicle's characteristics and applicable limits. The IRS provides specific instructions and worksheets to determine the credit amount accurately.
Filing and Additional Considerations
Once you have completed Form 8910, you must attach it to your individual income tax return (Form 1040). Remember that the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit is non-refundable, meaning it can only reduce your tax liability to zero. However, if your credit exceeds your tax liability, you may be able to carry forward any excess to future tax years.
It is crucial to consult a tax professional or refer to the official IRS instructions when completing Form 8910 to ensure accuracy and maximize your potential credit.
2019 Fillable Form 8910 (2019)
Fillable online Form 8910
- Fill this form