Get your New York Form ST-121 in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What Is New York Form ST-121?
New York Form ST 121, also known as the "Exempt Use Certificate," is a form used by businesses and organizations in New York State to claim exemption from paying sales tax on certain purchases. Nys Tax Exempt Form St 121 must be completed and provided to the seller in order for the exemption to be valid. Examples of exemptions that can be claimed on form ST 121 include purchases made for resale, purchases made by charitable organizations, and purchases made by the government.
Who Should Use New York Form ST-121?
The ST-121 form should be used by businesses and organizations that are eligible for exemption from paying sales tax on certain purchases made in New York State. Examples of entities that may use the form include:
- Retailers who purchase items for resale will not charge sales tax on those items when they are sold to customers;
- Charitable organizations that are exempt from paying sales tax on purchases made for their charitable activities;
- Government entities that are exempt from paying sales tax on purchases made for official government use;
- Religious, educational, and other non-profit organizations are exempt from paying sales tax on purchases made for their activities;
- Some other entities that may qualify for exemption such as Indian tribes, religious organizations and schools.
How To Fill Out New York Form ST-121
Form ST 121, the Exempt Use Certificate, is a simple form that can be filled out by the business or organization claiming the exemption. Here are the steps to fill out the form:
- Enter the name, address, and taxpayer identification number (TIN) of the business or organization claiming the exemption in the "Purchaser's Information" section at the top of the form.
- In the "Exemption Claimed" section, check the box corresponding to the type of exemption being claimed. For example, if the business claims an exemption for purchases made for resale, check the box next to "Resale."
- In the "Description of Property or Services" section, provide a brief description of the property or services being purchased and the intended use of the property or services.
- In the "Certification" section, the authorized person must sign and date the form.
- Keep the copy ST121 form with your business records, as you may be required to present it in case of an audit.
Also remember that it's essential to claim the exemption only when it applies to the purchase and have a valid reason to claim it, as it's illegal to claim exemptions when they don't use, and you could face penalties.
How To Get New York Form ST-121
You can obtain form ST 121 in several ways:
- Online: Right now the form can be downloaded from the PDFliner website.
- By Phone: You can call the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to request a form be mailed to you.
- In Person: You can visit a New York State Department of Taxation and Finance office to pick up a copy of the form in person.
- From the seller: Some sellers may have the form available on their premises or may be able to provide it to you upon request.
It's important to note that each form must be completed separately for each purchase and once completed, it should be given to the seller at the time of purchase.
What people say
Now that I’ve switched from Word to PDFLiner, I save lots of time processing and digitally distributing tons of billing forms, work orders, forecast reports, and invoices. In addition to this, thanks to PDFLiner, we’ve significantly minimized our paper consumption. Excellent tool that helps me cope with my business workflow faster and easier.
PDFLiner allows me to streamline the processes of generating and managing legal documents, as well as collecting electronic signatures for all my contracts and agreements. I like that I can customize forms on the go and access PDFLiner from all my gadgets. No more printing or scanning! That’s just brilliant!
When you’re a student, you deal with PDFs a lot… Newsletters, various worksheets, official forms you need to fill in and sign, etc… To me, filling out a PDF form used to be among the trickiest and most time-consuming things ever. But then a friend of mine introduced me to PDFLiner, and oh my God, my life has changed since then. It’s easy to use and has so many great features. Just awesome, I love it!
Fillable online New York Form ST-121