Tax FormsFillable tax forms simplify and speed up your tax filing process and aid with recordkeeping.Explore all templatesReal EstateReal estate templates for all cases, from sale to rentals, save you a lot of time and effort.Explore all templatesInsuranceInsurance templates make it easier for agents to manage policies and claims.Explore all templatesLegalLegal templates provide a structured foundation for creating legally binding documents.Explore all templatesMedicalMedical forms help you keep patient documentation organized and secure.Explore all templatesBill of SaleBill of Sale templates streamline the transfer of ownership with clarity and protection.Explore all templatesContractsVarious contract templates ensure efficient and clear legal transactions.Explore all templatesEducationEducational forms and templates enhance the learning experience and student management.Explore all templates
FeaturesThe all-in-one document management system has all the features you need to safely and efficiently handle your PDFs. Dive in, learn how to use all the tools, and become a PDF pro.Explore all featuresShare PDFWith the help of PDFliner you can share your PDF files by email or via the link as soon as you have edited, filled, or signed them online.Sign PDFPDFLiner gives the opportunity to sign documents online, save them, send at once by email or print. Register now, upload your document and e-sign it onlineFill Out PDFPDFLiner provides different tools for filling in PDF forms. All you need is to register, upload the necessary document and start filling it out.Draw on a PDFDraw lines, circles, and other drawings on PDF using tools of PDFLiner online. Streamline your document editing process, speeding up your productivity
- Log in
- Sign Up
Get your NC D-400 Schedule S in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What is the NC D-400 Schedule S
The NC Form D-400 Schedule S is a supplemental form used in conjunction with the primary NC D-400 form. It's designed to help taxpayers in North Carolina claim specific tax credits and deductions that aren't necessarily covered on the main income tax form. By ensuring you fill out this form accurately, you can guarantee that you're not leaving any of your hard-earned money on the table when tax season comes around.
When do you need the NC Tax Form D-400 Schedule S
Not every taxpayer will need to fill out the NC tax form D-400 Schedule S. Generally, this form becomes relevant when:
- You qualify for specific tax credits or income adjustments that aren't addressed on the primary NC D-400 form.
- You have specific types of income or adjustments that need detailed breakdowns.
- You want to ensure full compliance and make sure you're taking advantage of all tax incentives available to you as a North Carolina resident.
Key Sections of the NC State Income Tax Form D-400 Schedule S
Navigating through the NC state income tax form D-400 Schedule S is much simpler when you understand its structure and what each section aims to address:
- Income Adjustments: This section allows you to make specific income adjustments. This might include things like deductions for contributions to the state's 529 college savings plan or for specific types of retirement income.
- Tax Credits: Here, you can claim various tax credits offered by the state. Whether it's for taxes paid to other states or credits related to certain types of investments, this section ensures you don’t pay more than you owe.
- Consumer Use Tax: This section addresses any purchases you made where state sales tax was not collected, ensuring the state gets its due portion from such transactions.
How to Fill Out NC Form D-400 Schedule S: A Step-by-Step Guide
Completing tax forms can be intimidating, but breaking the process down into manageable steps can simplify it. Here's a step-by-step guide to assist you in filling out the NC Form D-400 Schedule S.
Step 1: Gather the Necessary Documents
Before you start, gather all relevant financial documents you'll need, such as:
- Records of additional sources of income
- Documentation for potential deductions or credits
Step 2: Download the Form
Head to the North Carolina Department of Revenue's official website. Navigate to the forms section and download the most recent NC Form D-400 Schedule S version.
Step 3: Fill in Personal Details
Start by providing your personal details, such as:
- Your name (as shown on your D-400 form)
- Social Security Number (SSN)
Step 4: Address the Income Adjustments Section
- Line 1 to Line 12: Each line corresponds to a specific income adjustment. Fill out the ones that apply to your situation using the figures from your financial documents.
- Line 13: Add the amounts from lines 1 through 12 and write the total.
Step 5: Handle the Tax Credits Section
- Line 14 to Line 26: These lines pertain to various tax credits available in North Carolina. Enter the figures for any credits you're eligible for.
- Line 27: This is your total tax credits. Sum up the amounts from lines 14 through 26.
Step 6: Address the Consumer Use Tax
- Line 28: Enter the total amount of untaxed out-of-state purchases made.
- Line 29: Calculate the use tax for the amounts you entered in line 28. You'll typically multiply your out-of-state purchases by North Carolina's use tax rate.
- Line 30: If you've already paid some use tax for purchases, enter the amount here.
- Line 31: Subtract the amount in line 30 from line 29 to determine the amount of use tax due.
Step 7: Complete the Part-Year Resident and Nonresident Schedule
If you were a part-year resident or nonresident, you'd need to fill out this section to determine your North Carolina tax liability accurately.
Step 8: Double-Check Your Numbers
Before finalizing the form, review all the entries to ensure their accuracy. Make sure all calculations are correct and that you haven't skipped any relevant sections.
Step 9: Attach to NC D-400
Once completed, attach NC Form D-400 Schedule S to your main NC D-400 form. Make sure all necessary supporting documents are also included.
Step 10: File Your Tax Return
Depending on your preference, you can either mail your tax return or file it electronically. If you're unsure about any aspect of the form, consider seeking advice from a tax professional to ensure compliance and accuracy.
Fillable online NC D-400 Schedule S