Get your Form 2220 in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What Is Form 2220?
Form 2220 is a document used to calculate the underpayment penalty for individuals and businesses that did not pay enough estimated tax throughout the year. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires taxpayers to pay taxes on income as it is earned through withholding or estimated tax payments.
If taxpayers don't pay enough taxes throughout the year, they may owe an underpayment penalty. The underpayment penalty is calculated using IRS form 2220, also known as the Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts. This form helps taxpayers determine whether they owe a penalty and how much they owe.
How To Fill Out Form 2220 Online
Filling out Form 2220 can be a daunting task for some taxpayers, but it is relatively straightforward if done correctly. Here are the main form 2220 instructions on how to fill it out online:
- Get a copy of the form: You can find and fill out the form 2220 pdf for free on the PDFliner website.
- Gather necessary documents: Before starting to fill out the template, gather all necessary documents such as tax returns, pay stubs, and other income documents.
- Determine the estimated tax paid: Find the total estimated tax paid for the year, including any payments made through withholding, estimated payments, or any other credits.
- Determine the required annual payment: Calculate the required annual payment using the annualized income installment method or the prior-year safe harbor method.
- Determine the underpayment amount: Subtract the total estimated tax paid from the required annual payment to determine the underpayment amount.
- Complete template: Fill out Form 2220, including the taxpayer's name, Social Security number, and tax year. Enter the underpayment amount in Part I, line 14.
- Calculate the penalty: Use Part II to calculate the penalty amount based on the underpayment amount and the number of days the underpayment was outstanding.
What Should Form 2220 Include
Form 2220 should include the following information:
- Taxpayer name and address
- Identification number (Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number)
- Filing status (e.g. single, married, filing jointly, etc.)
- Tax year for which the underpayment penalty is being calculated
- Total tax liability for the tax year
- Amount of estimated tax payments made for the tax year
- Dates and amounts of estimated tax payments made for the tax year
- Any adjustments to the estimated tax payments (e.g. due to changes in income or deductions)
When to Use Form 2220
You should request and use this form template if:
- You did not make sufficient estimated tax payments throughout the year
- You received income that was not subject to withholding (e.g. rental income, self-employment income)
- You had a significant change in income or deductions during the year that was not reflected in your estimated tax payments
- You had a short tax year (e.g. you started or ended a business during the year)
What people say
Now that I’ve switched from Word to PDFLiner, I save lots of time processing and digitally distributing tons of billing forms, work orders, forecast reports, and invoices. In addition to this, thanks to PDFLiner, we’ve significantly minimized our paper consumption. Excellent tool that helps me cope with my business workflow faster and easier.
PDFLiner allows me to streamline the processes of generating and managing legal documents, as well as collecting electronic signatures for all my contracts and agreements. I like that I can customize forms on the go and access PDFLiner from all my gadgets. No more printing or scanning! That’s just brilliant!
When you’re a student, you deal with PDFs a lot… Newsletters, various worksheets, official forms you need to fill in and sign, etc… To me, filling out a PDF form used to be among the trickiest and most time-consuming things ever. But then a friend of mine introduced me to PDFLiner, and oh my God, my life has changed since then. It’s easy to use and has so many great features. Just awesome, I love it!
Fillable online Form 2220