Get your Form 1099-C in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
What Is a Form 1099-C?
Form 1099-C, known as Cancellation of Debt, serves to report various payments and transactions not related to wages. This form is required for cases when lenders and creditors have repaid $ 600 debt or more. After that, they need to report it to the Internal Revenue Service. It is also a part of the 1099 chain of forms required by the IRS.
What Do I Need Form 1099-C For?
- If your debt of $ 600 or more has been repaid or canceled, Form 1099-C is a way to report it to the IRS.
- If the forgiven debt relates to your principal place of residence, you may be entitled to exclude that amount from your income.
- If your lender determines that you cannot pay the remaining sum, they will most likely cancel that amount of debt.
PDFLiner provides you with a convenient online form that you can download and fill out online.
Organizations That Work with Form 1099-C
The Internal Revenue Service
Relevant to 1099-C Documents
Related to 1099-C Resources
How to Fill Out Form 1099-C?
- Click the "Fill Out Form" button above.
- The first section of the printable form provides information about a lender and a borrower: full name, address, contact number, etc.
- In section 1, you need to fill in the date of the identifiable event.
- In field 2, add information about the amount of debt, either actual or expected, to be paid off.
- The next field shows the interest included in the debt.
- In box 4, you need to provide a debt description.
- Box 5 and 6 reveal whether you are responsible for the repayment and the reasons for completing the form.
- The last field is needed to enter the fair market value.
- After completing the fillable 1099-C Form, you can save and send this form online. You can also print it to send the form to the required address.
- Сheck all the fields carefully to ensure the information is accurate.
FAQ: IRS Form 1099-C Popular Questions
Do I have to report cancellation of debt?
If a debt is canceled, forgiven, or discharged for less than the amount you must pay, you will have to report the canceled debt as taxable income on your tax return for the year of the cancellation. Keep in mind that your creditor is also obligated to report the cancellation if debt.
How does a 1099C affect my tax refund?
If a creditor cancelled a debt of $600 and more, you will receive form 1099 C. Therefore, you should report the amount on your tax return and since it's considered as taxable income it may lower your tax refund.
What if I received a 1099 C Form after I filed my taxes?
In this case, IRS might send you a notice asking if you agree with an automatic correction. If they didn't you should amend your tax return and include the additional information.
What people say
Now that I’ve switched from Word to PDFLiner, I save lots of time processing and digitally distributing tons of billing forms, work orders, forecast reports, and invoices. In addition to this, thanks to PDFLiner, we’ve significantly minimized our paper consumption. Excellent tool that helps me cope with my business workflow faster and easier.
PDFLiner allows me to streamline the processes of generating and managing legal documents, as well as collecting electronic signatures for all my contracts and agreements. I like that I can customize forms on the go and access PDFLiner from all my gadgets. No more printing or scanning! That’s just brilliant!
When you’re a student, you deal with PDFs a lot… Newsletters, various worksheets, official forms you need to fill in and sign, etc… To me, filling out a PDF form used to be among the trickiest and most time-consuming things ever. But then a friend of mine introduced me to PDFLiner, and oh my God, my life has changed since then. It’s easy to use and has so many great features. Just awesome, I love it!
Fillable online Form 1099-C