Get your Songwriter Split Sheet in 3 easy steps
01 Fill and edit template
02 Sign it online
03 Export or print immediately
Understanding the Songwriter Split Sheet
Navigating the world of music royalties and distribution can be a daunting task, especially for new songwriters. That's where the concept of a songwriter sheet comes into play. This type of split sheet is an essential document used by music creators, producers, and artists to clearly outline a particular song's ownership percentages and royalties. Also, this legal document is binding, ensuring every collaborator's rights and contributions are respected and protected.
Components of a songwriter split sheet template
A standard songwriter split sheet template will include the following sections:
- Song Information: This encompasses the song's title, creation date, and any alternate titles.
- Collaborator Details: Each collaborator's legal name, contact information, and capacity (producer, songwriter, etc.) must be included.
- Rights and Ownership Percentage: For each collaborator, their respective ownership percentages and roles in the creation of the song will be stated.
- Signature Fields: Spaces for the signatures of each collaborator (or their legal representative) and the date must be provided.
Completing a Songwriter Split Sheet PDF
Filling out this form template can be an easy process if you follow these key steps:
- Gather All Relevant Collaborators: Ensure every individual who contributed to the creation of the song is present.
- Discuss Ownership Percentages: Hold a meeting to decide the percentage split among collaborators. This can be based on each person's level of involvement, experience, or negotiated terms.
- Fill Out the Template: Once percentages are agreed upon, fill out the sheet accurately with all necessary information.
- Sign and Date the Form: Each collaborator should verify the details and provide their signature, along with the date.
- Distribute Copies: Provide each collaborator with a copy of the signed split sheet for their records.
How are samples handled on a songwriter split sheet?
Samples are handled on a songwriter split sheet by including the copyright owner of the sampled material as a collaborator and assigning them an ownership percentage. When incorporating samples into a new song, obtaining legal clearance from the copyright owner is essential. Failing to obtain clearance can result in legal action or loss of potential royalties.
When the split sheet is prepared, the ownership percentages of all parties involved, including the original songwriter(s) of the new song and the copyright owner of the sampled work, should be listed and agreed upon. This ensures that all parties receive their fair share of royalties based on their contributions. To avoid future misunderstandings, discussing and documenting how samples will be handled and the ownership percentages assigned to all parties involved is crucial.
What people say
Now that I’ve switched from Word to PDFLiner, I save lots of time processing and digitally distributing tons of billing forms, work orders, forecast reports, and invoices. In addition to this, thanks to PDFLiner, we’ve significantly minimized our paper consumption. Excellent tool that helps me cope with my business workflow faster and easier.
PDFLiner allows me to streamline the processes of generating and managing legal documents, as well as collecting electronic signatures for all my contracts and agreements. I like that I can customize forms on the go and access PDFLiner from all my gadgets. No more printing or scanning! That’s just brilliant!
When you’re a student, you deal with PDFs a lot… Newsletters, various worksheets, official forms you need to fill in and sign, etc… To me, filling out a PDF form used to be among the trickiest and most time-consuming things ever. But then a friend of mine introduced me to PDFLiner, and oh my God, my life has changed since then. It’s easy to use and has so many great features. Just awesome, I love it!
Fillable online Songwriter Split Sheet